Posted on May 5th, 2023
Cleaning your flat screen TV may seem like a straightforward task. But, in reality, it involves precision and special care to accomplish it without leaving unsightly streaks and smudges or, worse, damaging its antiglare coating. We get asked about this topic a lot by loyal customers, so we’ve asked our home cleaning experts for practical tips and created this comprehensive guide on how to clean a flat screen TV without streaks carefully and effectively.
What Do I Need to Clean My Flat Screen TV
Before diving into the cleaning process, let’s talk about the cleaning materials you can safely use to clean your flatscreen TVs. Often, a good dusting and wiping using a high-quality microfiber cloth is all you need, and it’s sleek and squeaky clean.
It’s important to keep in mind that flatscreen televisions have delicate glass and antiglare coatings that can get easily scratched or damaged with highly abrasive chemicals and materials. As a general rule of thumb, never use the following for cleaning your flatscreen TV:
- Paper towels
- Rough fabric-based materials (towels or rags)
- Old newspaper
- Disinfecting wipes that contain bleach or alcohol
- Harsh, chemical-based cleaning solutions
Can I Clean My TV Screen with Windex?
No. Commercial window and glass cleaners, like Windex, contain ammonia and alcohol ingredients that can ruin LED, LCD, and plasma screens. If you spray these cleaners on the surface of your TV, there’ll be an unpleasant chemical reaction that will leave cloudiness and dullness on the screen. It’s irreversible damage and an expensive cleaning mistake you want to avoid.
Can I Use Vinegar to Clean My Flat Screen TV?
Yes. Vinegar is truly a fantastic eco-friendly cleaner that’s incredibly versatile. A Healthline article says its acetic nature makes it a powerful natural cleaner that can easily dissolve dirt, grease, grime, and even mineral deposits.
Nevertheless, vinegar is gentle and safe for cleaning your electronic screens when diluted with water. It’s simple and economical to make, too. All you have to do is mix equal parts of water and white vinegar into a spray bottle. Distilled water is ideal for this cleaning task because it doesn’t contain hard minerals that can leave streaks on screens. You can also add a drop of dish soap if you like. And voila! You have a homemade cleaning solution that’s safe and effective to use for your flat screen TV, among other things.
Cleaning a TV Screen: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Turn off and unplug the appliance so that you can spot the dirty areas clearly and don’t risk getting electrocuted.
- Get rid of visible dust and dirt using a dry microfiber cloth, concentrating on the edges. Again, most of the time, your TV will look spotlessly clean doing just this. BUT on the off chance that it still looks dirty or there are traces of fingerprints and smudges, proceed to the next step.
- Wet a separate microfiber cloth (a clean spare, not the one you used for dusting) with a few sprays of your DIY vinegar cleaning solution. Wring it tightly so it’s damp and not soaking wet. Use it to wipe the flatscreen from top to bottom. Do it in circular motions, very gently, and without pressure.
And that’s it! You’re flatscreen looks brand new again. Wait for at least 15 minutes to make sure it’s completely dry before turning it on again to watch your favorite show.
Enjoy High-Quality Cleaning Services in OKC
We can clean your flat screen TV cleaning and more. Whatever your cleaning needs are, HappyCleans can help you. We work with vetted and experienced professional house cleaners you can book conveniently whenever you need them. Call us at (405) 353-2665 or use our online booking page to schedule a clean and get a free quotation.